Teaching students how to be Peacemakers
Goals:To teach students constructive ways to deal with conflict and give them conflict resolution skills.
Target Outcome:Students with skills to prevent conflict and to reduce its negative effects.
- Kindergarten through 9th grade
- Faculty and staff members
Problem:Violence in schools.
- Twenty 30 minute lessons
- Four lessons on the nature of conflict and its potential constructive outcomes
- Eight lessons on how to engage in problem solving negotiations
- Eight lessons on how to mediate schoolmates’ conflicts
- Each lesson has two different student mediators
- Classroom curricula designed to motivate pro health decisions and skills; life skill training and values clarification and antiviolence models
- Classroom based skill development; creating supportive school communities
- Two peer mediators are chosen for each lesson, alternating students so each has a turn.
- Rural, Urban, Suburban
- $5000 to $10,000
- Training: $1000 a day for 5 days with one trainer
- Training manual: $32
- Student manual: $12
- Video: $30
- Audio Cassette Tape: $12
- 62% of program students reached ideal problem solving constructive solution
- 29% of students viewed conflicts positively
- 90% of students recalled 100% of negotiation training the next day
- 75% of students recalled 100% of training a year after the program
- Program students use conflict resolution strategies in non classroom and non school settings
- Increased academic achievement and long term retention of academic material
- Students resolve conflicts without faculty reducing classroom problems