Project Towards No Drug Abuse (Project TND)
Goals: To prevent and reduce drug abuse in adolescents.
Target Outcomes:Lower use of hard drugs, marijuana, alcohol and cigarettes in the 14-19 year olds.
Populations: 14 to 19 year olds in al types of high schools using the regular program and experimental ones.
Problem:As previously stated this program is designed to deal with adolescent drug use and victimization.
- There are 12 in class interactive sessions which cover a variety of topics that involve the use of drugs and alcohol.
- Active listening
- Myths and Denials
- Chemical Dependency
- Talk Show
- Marijuana Panel
- Tobacco Use Cessation
- Stress, Health, and Goals
- Self Control
- Positive and Negative Thought and Behavior Loops
- Decision-making and Commitment
- Each lesson last approximately 40 to 50 minutes and is for use over a four week period.
- The lessons involve information on the social and health implication of substance use and abuse, communication and stress management techniques, and self-control behaviors for older teens.
- $70 Teacher’s manual
- $50 for 5 Student work books
- $2500 for a two day training program and trainers travel
- For 3000 youth from 42 schools across three trials after the one year follow up:
- 27% reduction in 30 day cigarette use.
- 22% reduction in 30 day marijuana use.
- 26% reduction in 30 day hard drug use.
- 9% reduction in 30 day drug use among baseline drinkers.
- 6% reduction in victimization among males.